Whose Gloucester video is better?

Saturday, May 22, 2010

I say: Let the shit fall where it will.........


I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about cycling, Floyd Landis’ revelations/accusations, Lance Armstrong and life in general. I have to admit I never like Floyd much even before he was stripped of his Tour de France victory in 2006. Like many of the upper echelon of the peloton I thought he was arrogant and kind of a jerk. However, today I wonder about his motivations in telling all of us 1) that, yes, he did dope, 2) He was NOT the only one, 3) naming names—BIG NAMES.

Well, before all of this hit the fan I read an article where Lance Armstrong came out and said he had doubts about himself this year. WHAT??? Is this the Lance Armstrong I have grown to hate all these years. How could he possibly come out publically and say something that seemed, well, humble. I had suspicions that something was brewing and that he was prepping himself for a shit-storm. Then he crashes out of the ATOC and then lo and behold Landis comes out with some shocking allegations. Although, if you are a realist they are really not that shocking at all.

Armstrong says he has nothing to hide. And in a way that is true. He can’t be stripped of his TdF victories due to a 7 year moratorium- kind of a statute of limitations. He could, maybe doubtful, but possible, be stripped of people’s respect, his credibility, his legacy and his current position with the Shack. I doubt that even Bruyneel, will be able to come out of this unscathed. Radio Shack will hardly want to endorse someone, however powerful, whose character is in question and perhaps even shredded by the time this is all over. My question here is how come, over the years so many riders have been forced to eat shit, while Lance’s shit-- nasty, illegal or unethical gets gold plated and shoved down our (collective-fans and pro peloton) throats.

I’m not even going to go in to doping in this monologue. I hope we all agree that is a non-issue here. I can’t think of anyone who is openly in favor of doping, yet some cyclists continue to do it. The long term health risks are unknown. The number of fatalities, heart attacks and other negative aspects are too numerous to count.

This is about Floyd Landis and why he has been chosen as the public whipping boy of pro cycling. Floyd is not alone in this public spectacle. TdF organizers, WADA, and the media have been quick to very publically accuse and ban cyclists for doping. Floyd, however has absolutely nothing to lose at this point. He’s already lost everything. Even his mom stated that if he did dope and lied about it he should burn in hell. Nice mom! Never trust a Mennonite.

I honestly believe that Floyd’s motives are not petty in this instance. I believe that he wants people to realize that in that era just about everyone doped. Folks who didn’t like Danny Pate and Tim Johnson (according to Adam Myerson) went to Europe and couldn’t hack it because they DIDN’T dope. That’s why they came back to the US- where both have been extremely successful.

I am a little scared about what may happen to folks like Dave Z. and even Levi in the fallout of all of this, but even so I say let the shoe drop where it will. Cycling has been giving a wink and a nod with one hand, and slapping folks upside the head with the other, with regards to doping. However, I also think that maybe it is about time there was a major shake-up, and maybe people like……Lance Armstrong and Johan Bruyneel need to be taken down a few pegs or even just…taken down. Like Adam Myerson, and I think Floyd Landis, I say let’s just burn the whole thing down and let the phoenix rise from the ashes. Perhaps this latest controversy will have the power to do just that. I will still be a fan. You probably will still be a fan as well. I wish Floyd the best and hope that his revelations help to conquer his personal demons.

I am too lazy right now to put all the links of all that I’ve read on this into the post. But believe me I have read just about everyone’s take on every perceivable side before I came to these beliefs.

A little part of me also hopes that Lance goes down in a blazing ball of shit.


PS: 5 mountain top finishes for the end of the Giro?? No wonder they dope.

No comments: