First and foremost, congratulations to all of the riders who participated in the World Championship Men's Elite Road Race today. 265K after a LOOONNGG season is no easy feat.
However, my disappointment is many faceted and verges on pissed-offatude.
- The coverage of pro cycling in the United States SUCKS! I had to watch the live stream from some dude in Turkey named Ozzy. Swear to god! Now Ozzy likes many sports including Formula One racing (I guess it's the NASCAR of Europe of something.) So for 90 minutes of the race Ozzy had the Road Race in this little teeny tiny window, while the F1 race dominated my screen. Now I don't fault Ozzy for this- he would probably have been lynched by the guys at the town bar if he hadn't shown the F1 race, but it sucked for cycling fans. In his defense, after enough of us bitched he gave cycling half the screen until the F1 race was over. Thanks OZ- Loved you in Black Sabbath.
- Now because Ozzy's version of the race had audio that was in Turkish or something I had to use an audio feed from Eurosport. This was OK except for the boring Irish guy that Helen tells me is named Sean or something. I also had the CN ticker going and Helen in the chat room to keep me up to speed.
- So the race is over and guess what they are showing on Versus today? The Tour of Missouri! Thanks a lot guys- the recap will be great, but WTF? Can we maybe have a little bit more consideration in terms of the time lapse between a race and when you decide to show it on TV? Is that asking so much?
- Alessandro Ballan won.
5. Damiano Cunego (the Little Prince) came in second. Go get a touch up on those roots dude.
6. On a lighter note; Italy didn't dominate the podium, thankfully Matti Breschel of Denmark took 3d.
7. This was not my dream podium.
8. Of my faves: Andy Schleck did not finish, Frank Schleck came in 41, Valverde 37. OMG! This was like the race from hell!
9. On another lighter note a couple of Garmin riders did pretty well. Steve Cozza (a young whipper snapper) came in 23 and was in the 2nd chase group at least. And Julian (Kiwi Guy) Dean arrived with the peloton at 4:53 for 35 place.
Bettini said his goodbyes and now, so will I, in order to watch the 2 week old coverage of the TOM on Versus.