Whose Gloucester video is better?

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Disappointment


First and foremost, congratulations to all of the riders who participated in the World Championship Men's Elite Road Race today. 265K after a LOOONNGG season is no easy feat.

However, my disappointment is many faceted and verges on pissed-offatude.

  1. The coverage of pro cycling in the United States SUCKS! I had to watch the live stream from some dude in Turkey named Ozzy. Swear to god! Now Ozzy likes many sports including Formula One racing (I guess it's the NASCAR of Europe of something.) So for 90 minutes of the race Ozzy had the Road Race in this little teeny tiny window, while the F1 race dominated my screen. Now I don't fault Ozzy for this- he would probably have been lynched by the guys at the town bar if he hadn't shown the F1 race, but it sucked for cycling fans. In his defense, after enough of us bitched he gave cycling half the screen until the F1 race was over. Thanks OZ- Loved you in Black Sabbath.
  2. Now because Ozzy's version of the race had audio that was in Turkish or something I had to use an audio feed from Eurosport. This was OK except for the boring Irish guy that Helen tells me is named Sean or something. I also had the CN ticker going and Helen in the chat room to keep me up to speed.
  3. So the race is over and guess what they are showing on Versus today?  The Tour of Missouri! Thanks a lot guys- the recap will be great, but WTF? Can we maybe have a little bit more consideration in terms of the time lapse between a race and when you decide to show it on TV? Is that asking so much?
  4. Alessandro Ballan won. 


5. Damiano Cunego (the Little Prince) came in second. Go get a touch up on those roots dude.
6. On a lighter note; Italy didn't dominate the podium, thankfully Matti Breschel of Denmark took 3d.


7. This was not my dream podium.
8. Of my faves: Andy Schleck did not finish, Frank Schleck came in 41, Valverde 37. OMG! This was like the race from hell!
9. On another lighter note a couple of Garmin riders did pretty well. Steve Cozza (a young whipper snapper) came in 23 and was in the 2nd chase group at least. And Julian (Kiwi Guy) Dean arrived with the peloton at 4:53 for 35 place.

Bettini said his goodbyes and now, so will I, in order to watch the 2 week old coverage of the TOM on Versus.

19 comments:

Karen said...

You know, Andy has had already a very long season and being so young, it's not easy to be strong at the end of the year. I'm very delighted with Cunego being second cause he's also one of my favourite riders. Too bad the belgians couldn't pull it off but they were very strong.

Maggie said...

You should have come in to the chatroom Karen. We were having a great time! I think the stuff with Frank S. just has me ticked still. Cunego finally lived up to his nickname today.

Rina said...

What happpend to Andy today? Know he went out but reason why is unknown for me.
I was at my nephews baptased in the begning of the race, so I have not seen what happend and Eurosport did not say anything when I get home and able to watched the race.
Luxembourg media has not said anything eaither about Andy today.
Frank looked good though.

Sorry I missed chatforum, let me know when you will be there again.

The CSC pressconfence was annoncment of new sponsor IT factory, nothing about Frank lol

Anke said...

The Dutch said that he wasn't in the favourites group anymore, and couln't come back. That's what they think was the reason for Andy dropping out of the race

Rina said...

Okay, properly the reason then. Just annoys me that luxemboug media has not anything about it.
I am proud of Matti!

Maggie said...

Not sure what happened with Andy yet, Rina. He went out at the same time as McEwan and Contador.

If anybody knows anything let us know.

Rina said...

LOL, yeah please let us know if you know/find anything lol
Nothing on CSC site.
Right now danish media is high on the bronze by Matti...
Kinda sad to be honest!

Karen said...

@ maggie: i only saw the end of the race because i had to work. Too bad i didn't make it to the chatroom. Just let me know when you girls will be there next time :p

Andy was dropped from the group, i think it was about 50 km from the finish.

Rina said...

Our mission is now is to find out what happen..
A picture from Worlds with the brothers
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/worlds08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/worlds08/worlds086/Par2182525

Helen said...

I think Cunego actually looks quite cute in that photo. He ranges from looking good to looking bad. He seems like a good guy though, very anti-doping and not the ego people think he is.
I'm not a huge fan but he's better than a lot of riders.

sansen said...

Cunego is the Italian Luke Skywalker...according to Cycle Sport America.

Karen said...

here's also another picture: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/worlds08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/worlds08/worlds086/sirotti_worlds106

Bridget said...

Long season for Andy, I guess. And he's a youngster. He'll be in rainbow in a few years time!
Haha- i did not see that podium coming- 'cept maybe Matti, he had a good Vuelta.
P.S: I finally found ProCycling!!! Had to go interstate to find it; but that's cool!

MontyZooma said...

Oh boy Oh boy....., when will frank tell the truth...geez, who'd of thought the past would catch up with him.
Hope andy is as innocent as he looks?? How will this affect his riding? Will it blow over?
NO.

Maggie said...

Hi Monty- I missed you! :)

Rina said...

Yay, Monty you are back! Been missing you. And ladies I think we have a gay feller.. How nice! :-)

Helen said...

YES! My life is now complete, Monty has not left us like I feared. Phew.

sansen said...

Awesome, our mutual friend/fiend has not abandoned us!

Maggie said...

Doesn't it feel good to be part of a community, Monty? Must feel different from being under that bridge grabbing little kids all the time.