Whose Gloucester video is better?

Monday, August 4, 2008

How Nice is This Guy?


From: Tour de France Key Moments

During the hubbub of the post-race interviews, it was suggested to A.S. that he's a future winner of the TdF. That may be the case but the leader of the youth classification isn't prepared to talk up his chances while he's busy working on another job.

A.S.: "I felt really good but I'm here to learn and it's been a good Tour so far and I showed some weakness which some of the others didn't and that's why I'm so far down in the GC now. But I'm optimistic and I'm really happy to finish third today here, on Alpe D'Huez. I mean, I think I showed something and nobody could have followed Carlos today. He was incredibly strong and also really confident when he had to be. When he left us nobody could really do anything.

       "I'm not listening when people say I'm a future winner of the TdF. I'll stay with my feet on the ground. What everybody expects from me and what they say about me....well that's just talk but I'm the one who has to do the work and I'd like to come back here one day and try again. I know that it was a lot of work to do to be here and do what I've done this year.

       "I will come back one year and try to reach the podium of the Tour. I think it's possible; why not? But I'm not going to say that I'm going to win it one day."

Nice kid, head screwed on straight, not too cocky.
Definitely a future TdF Winner!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Do you think he'll go for it next year? I still think it might be one year too early for the overall, he's got the talent, i just think he's need a bit more experience. But i'd love to be proved wrong!
He's such a lovely guy though :]
Hadn't seen the third quote before, thanks!

Maggie said...

I absolutely do think he will go for it next year. He'll be 24. One year older. One year wiser. Plus I think Frank will help him.

Henri Cornet won it at age 20 in 1904 (after 9 other riders were disqualified for taking cars and trains! Hey where'd the pelaton go?)