Whose Gloucester video is better?

Friday, August 22, 2008

2008 US Nationals


As Labor Day weekend approaches; I imagine these three guys are back in training for the 2008 Greenville Hospital System USA Cycling Professional Championships. Jeez, they just returned from Beijing and here they go again. (Not like some cyclists who had such a LONG season they need to take the rest of the year off- to get some serious mental health treatment, we hope.)


Anyway, Christian VdV, Dave Z. (Both Garmin-Chipotle) and Big George (Columbia) will be in Greenville, SC next weekend to contest 2 national titles. If Zabriskie wins the ITT this will be his 3d consecutive win. I don't know-- I think I'm going to put my money on VdV for both ITT and Road Race. Just because he is having such an incredible season. Sorry Dave.

It must be weird for these guys. I mean usually they are racing with their pro teams, then they all came together for the Olympics as Team USA, now they're individual competitors. They have to all get along otherwise they'd be killing each other (or fans and reporters like "you know who.")


Big George will have the home town advantage, and he did win the RR in '98 and '06. Love Big George! Seriously solid dude. Other riders I am watching include, Tyler Hamilton (Rock Racing,) and Tom Danielson (Garmin-Chipotle.) Over 50 guys are expected to be in the field for the ITT, probably about the same for the RR.

The ITT starts at 11:00 AM ET Saturday, August 30, 2008.
The Road Race starts at 1:00 ET PM Sunday, August 31, 2008.

I'm trying to find out if this will be online anywhere or even (heaven forbid) on TV. If I find anything out I will let you folks know.


5 comments:

Helen said...

Cool! I have no chance of seeing these live, so i'll rely upon you and cyclingnews to guide me ;] I'm rooting for CVV in the Road Race and DZ in the ITT. :]

sansen said...

May DZ NOT crash and burn like he did in the Giro. As fof CVV, I, uh, keep reading his initials as 105. Yikes!

Maggie said...

That's why I call him VdV. I don't think that's a roman numeral. All I know is
www. christianvandeveldefanclub.com is way too long for a site name. Why couldn't he be Chris Smith?

sansen said...

How is the VandeVelde site progressing?

Maggie said...

I had it up today for about 5 minutes. Then I screwed something up with the FTP. I'm hoping to have it functional tomorrow. I am actually going to get off this puter for a little bit and maybe go for.......an actual bike ride. Hopefully I don't piss off any drivers.